Senior Executive – Data Scientist
The Walt Disney Company
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The Merchandise Experience Planning & Integration team is seeking multiple highly motivated, retail analysts/seniors with strong data science backgrounds who will conduct business analysis and clearly articulate recommendations to help drive improvements to the guest experience and the overall business. They will be accountable for consulting with Disney’s Theme Park Merchandise (DTPM) business partners to assess and address information needs, and for managing, analyzing and synthesizing analytics and insights to influence decisions and action planning. They will lead analytic efforts related to demand forecasting, customer segmentation, product affinity modeling, assortment optimization, demand transference and various other areas to help drive our businesses.
They will operate across a highly-matrixed, multinational organization and help drive the organization’s strategic advantage through more in-depth analysis of structured and… unstructured data available across DTPM. Candidates should have an inherent passion for data and data driven thinking and be adept at extracting patterns from volumes of data to drive strategy and operational efficiencies.
We will be considering talent to fill Scientist and Sr. Scientist level positions. Both will report to the Manager-Merchandise Business Intelligence.
• Support development of the advanced analytics practice: Develop best in class advanced analytics practice for DTPM and drive analytic culture across the planning and product development teams.
• Support BI Reporting: In collaboration with leadership, support the development of Business Intelligence (BI) dashboards to highlight key performance indicators (KPI) across franchises, locations and channels. Work will include multi-source data integration and development in BI tools (Business Objects, Tableau, Teradata, MSSQL).
• Data Infrastructure: In collaboration with infrastructure in IT teams, make recommendations for data architecture strategy.
• Tool Assessment: Develop and deploy analytical tools and data science techniques to analyze complex data sets.
• Monitor trends in data science and alternative sources to ensure that DTPM is in tune with best in class tools and techniques.
Bachelor’s degree in data science, applied mathematics, statistics, business analytics, economics, or equivalent experience
• Three plus years of experience in market research, insights, analytics, competitive intelligence or other similar function with demonstrated ability to manage in a complex environment with multiple constituencies (retail specific experience preferred)
• Deep expertise in complex modeling and analytical methodology including, but not exclusively, longitudinal analyses, multi-level modeling and multivariate analyses of variance
• Strong knowledge of databases, database architecture, data warehouses, and ETL processes
• Experience using analysis tools such as SQL, SAS, Tableau, and R
• Ability to influence and work through others to effectively navigate matrixed organization while ensuring that necessary stakeholders are informed
• Ability to simplify highly complex analyses and output into terms that are easily accessible and impactful in both written and verbal formats
• Familiarity and experience with data visualization and executive communication
• Future-oriented thinker with expertise in external practices and trends
• High level of analytical and negotiating skills as evidenced by high intelligence, strong financial and analytical capabilities and the proven ability to develop, sell and drive suitable partnerships, alliances, or other transactions to closure
• Strong sense of responsibility, ownership and pride in delivering quality results, and understanding the business impacts
• Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the retail industry
• Experience with Tableau
• High proficiency with SQL and Microsoft SSIS Packages
• Understanding of and experience with standard retail data warehouses
• Machine Learning application and experience
• AI assisted data analysis
• Good sense of graphic / visual design